STOP THE TRAFFIK

Friday, September 23, 2005

I'm Back in Utah

Here's what's been going on for the past week:
  • I saw Lord of War last Friday. I rate it 3.5 (out of 5) stars.
  • I went to Shoutfest at the Prince William County Fairgrounds in Manassas, VA on Saturday. I saw that they were understaffed for Security, so I volunteered to help out. I worked the barricade and then the autograph signing afterwards. I liked Krystal Meyers, Seventh Day Slumber, ZOEgirl, and Jars of Clay's performances.
  • The manny job let me go. Joe & Debbie have spoiled Evan which made it extremely difficult to deal with him. I wasn't perfect but I was trying make it work. I was considering quitting and had prayed about it over the weekend. We got into an argument Sunday night and they told me it wasn't working out and that I was done. Joe was going out of town for work on Monday, so they kicked me out that night (Sunday). I couldn't believe it, but it's true. I called Chelle, who is the Young Adult group leader at Centerpointe, and she came and picked me up. The church put me up in a motel for three nights. I made some calls and decided to move back to Utah. The church bought me a ticket to fly back to Utah on Wednesday. I am really grateful for all the church did for me.
  • So I'm back in Utah. I'm living with Jake (JakeTheGamer) until I find my own place. I'm working at Players again. Some things have changed there so hopefully I won't be having any more bad nights (Brandon is back - hopefully we can get along). I've been doing some painting at Players because they are renovating and changing their name to The Beach. I'll be working there on Friday, Saturday, and Tuesday.
So I'm basically back to where I was 5 months ago when I left Players to go to Vegas. Please keep me in your prayers. By the way, my birthday is on Monday. I'll be 30.

2 comments:

WitchDr said...

Heh, yeah Utah sucks. And L.A. sucks. And New York sucks. BUT Utah rocks, L.A. rocks, and New York rocks. Think about it.

Drew, I'm no authority on living a good life and being happy, but I'm gonna go ahead and offer some free advice.

Get a steady job that pays.

Like you said, you're right back where you were 5 months ago, and now you're setting everything up to stay that way for another 5 months. If I were you, I'd ditch the club jobs at least temporarily and start applying for jobs like security at the mall, or temp work at Manpower, or whatever looks interesting in the want ads at www.sltrib.com. Maybe become a bartender (I know you find tending bar distasteful, but would it really be worse than bouncing? Maybe you don't want to promote the consumption of alcohol ... then why work at a bar at all?).

Check it out: you're either making money or spending it. That's true for everybody. Get a J O B that pays about the same amount every week or every two weeks, and you'll have the ability to improve your situation. I'm not saying that money is the answer to everything, but it's definitely the answer to some of your problems.

You're going in circles, dude. You can eke out a living by couch surfing and bouncing at bars (which you have for a few years now), but that formula will not propel you anywhere. The military didn't work out. The nanny job didn't work out. Big deal. You are capable of lifting yourself out of the ditch you're crawling through. I said the same thing when you came back from Vegas.
Instead of beating yourself up for so-called failures, take the first step to enjoying your time more: GET A STEADY JOB THAT PAYS.

This is no time to be proud. I've worked at Subway, I've been a prep cook, I've washed cars, I've emptied trash, I've cleaned toilets ... man, I've had some extremely demeaning jobs. But I was never ashamed of doing them, because they were better than doing nothing (or next to nothing).

There are HUNDREDS of jobs in Salt Lake that would LOVE to hire you and pay you enough to cover an apt, groceries, a cell phone, date money (!!!), and of course some time at the LAN center of your choice. So why don't you go get one? WHAT IS STOPPING YOU?

No, seriously: What is stopping you from getting a job that pays $8, $9, $12 an hour? I know the answer, and so do you. So now that you've bounced back to SLC and (presumably) had enough time to shake off the pain of being fired (I've been there), the time is right to step into a new direction. It's right in front of you. I'm trying to direct your attention to it.

I don't mean to be preachy or self-righteous. I'm just telling it like it is, and I speak from experience.

Get a steady job that pays and you'll be able to go to the same clubs that currently underpay and abuse you, but you'll go as a customer. And you'll meet chicks. And you'll have your own apartment (or condo or HOUSE) in which to entertain them.

Yeah. Think about THAT.

Peace.

WitchDr said...

BTW, happy birthday. :)